The SSI Instructor Trainer Seminar provides candidates with the knowledge and training necessary to organize and conduct SSI Instructor-level scuba training courses.
Note | Instructor Trainer Seminars are conducted by SSI Service Centers, and candidates are selected through an application process.
- Provide written proof of having assisted with at least one (1) ITC and one (1) Instructor Crossover program with an active status Instructor Trainer.
Have the following active status SSI certifications or an equivalent from a recognized training agency:
- Open Water Instructor | for the two (2) years prior to registering for the Instructor Trainer Seminar
- The ratio may increase to 12:2 with an International Training Director or Instructor Certifier (requires written approval from the SSI International).
Note | An Instructor Trainer or Instructor Certifier may assist with the Instructor Trainer Seminar as part of their own training without affecting ratios.
- An active status International Training Director must directly supervise all academic, pool/confined water and open water activities.
- Complete all academic sessions as outlined in the instructor manual for the Instructor Trainer Seminar.
- Pass all requirements and evaluations listed in the instructor manual for the Instructor Trainer Seminar.
- Upon completion of training, upload the candidate’s training record with all required documentation into the MySSI System or send it to the responsible SSI Service Center.
- Exclusively use the SSI Total Teaching System for all recreational levels and issue only SSI certifications. Only those programs that SSI does not provide materials for can be conducted through another agency.
- Conduct at least one (1) complete Instructor Training Course every 24 months. Or, if SSI International offers a mandatory update, complete at least one (1) within 24 months.
- If this time period is exceeded, they may extend their active status Instructor Trainer certification by attending a remedial training session coordinated by SSI International and an International Training Director. They will remain in retired status until the remedial training session is completed.
- Instructor Trainers will be held responsible for the quality of education. If a significant number of their candidates fail the Instructor Evaluation because of non-performance, the Instructor Trainer may be required to re-attend another Instructor Trainer Seminar or revert to the Master Instructor rating.
In addition to the programs taught by active status Assistant Instructor Trainers, active status Instructor Trainers may: