The SSI Technical Extended Range Instructor Training Course certifies the candidate as one of the following::
An active status Technical Extended Range Instructor Trainer may conduct the Technical Extended Range Instructor Training Course.
- Own and use a Total Diving System in the appropriate equipment configuration as outlined in the SSI General Training Standards.
Have the following active status SSI certifications or an equivalent from a recognized training agency:
Note | If candidate has not issued the required certifications, they may complete the Instructor Training Course by requesting a waiver and meeting additional completion requirements. See “Requirements for Completion” for details.
- A review of all SSI General Training Standards, and the standards related to the XR programs the candidate is earning a certification for.
- The XR Candidate Water Fitness Evaluation as outlined in the SSI General Training Standards if it has been more than six months since the candidate has been evaluated.
- A pool/confined water session that includes the presentation and evaluation of all required program skills. All skills must be done with demonstration quality.
- While acting as an instructor, plan and conduct at least one (1) full decompression dive from the program.
- Demonstrate the ability to rescue an unconscious diver by bringing the diver to the surface from a depth between 5 and 10 meters.
- The minimum required Total Diving System and stage cylinders must be worn during all in-water training.
- During the planned dive, the candidate will supervise an assistant or another candidate acting as the student.
- The dive must be to a depth of at least 50 meters, with at least 25 minutes of planned staged decompression time, and at least two (2) gas switches.
Prior to receiving their certification, candidates who have not issued the required number of certifications must complete the following requirements after successful completion of the seminar:
- Co-teach at least two (2) complete Technical Extended Range programs with an active status Technical Extended Range Instructor.
- Provide recommendation letters (completed and signed by the supervising instructor) for each co-taught program.
In addition to the programs taught by active status Extended Range Instructors, active status Technical Extended Range Instructors may teach, supervise and issue certifications for the following programs using the equipment configurations they are qualified to teach in:
An active status Technical Extended Range Instructor who has a Technical Extended Range Trimix certification may be upgraded to a Technical Extended Range Trimix Instructor.