The SSI Dive Guide program provides candidates with the knowledge and training necessary to supervise and guide certified divers on recreational scuba dives.
Note: Upon completion of the Dive Guide program, candidates may receive a professional or non-professional certification.
- Minimum age: 15 years old (Must be 18 years old to be certified as an active status Professional Dive Guide).
Have the following SSI certifications, an equivalent from a recognized training agency, or provide proof of experience by showing at least five (5) logged experience dives in each of the following areas:
Note: The candidate is not required to be certified in the applicable specialty if they provide proof of the experience dives and the instructor can verify the candidate’s ability to exhibit mastery of the skills required by the specialty.
Recommendation: SSI recommends all SSI Dive Professional candidates become certified in Enriched Air Nitrox 40.
- The number of classes, hours and sessions per day are set by the individual instructor, based on the candidate’s needs, ability and local water conditions.
- An active status SSI Dive Guide Instructor must directly supervise all academic, pool/confined water, and open water activities.
- Complete at least two (2) open water training dives as outlined in the instructor manual for Dive Guide.
- Upon completion of training, upload the candidate’s training record with all required documentation into the MySSI System or send it to the responsible SSI Service Center.
- Dive Guides can dive autonomously with a group of certified divers in a non-commercial capacity, in environments and to a depth equivalent with their training.